[ Your ERS Person ]

How to request additional service credit


f you worked for a public employer or served in the U.S. armed forces before you were a member of the New York State and Local Employees’ Retirement System, you may be eligible to request additional credit for that past service. It’s likely that you will have to pay for past service credit. However, because service credit is a major factor in calculating an ERS pension, in most cases, buying service credit will increase your pension.

NYSUT ERS consultants

Most NYSUT School-Related Professionals* belong to the New York State and Local Employees’ Retirement System (ERS). Contact any one of our consultants for assistance.

Tarrytown Region:
Trudi Davis | 914-592-4411

Nassau/Suffolk Region:
Karen McLean | 518-625-1966

North Country/Potsdam Region:
Cheryl Rockhill | 518-240-8890

Syracuse Region:
Virginline Woodall | 518-617-0268

* Certified teaching assistants
belong to the state TRS.

To request additional service credit, sign in to your Retirement Online account (web.osc.state.ny.us/retire/sign-in.php), scroll down to the “My Account Summary” area of your account homepage and click the “Manage My Service Credit Purchases” button. You can also apply by mail by submitting a Request to Purchase Service Credit form (including any military service) (RS5042), available on our website at osc.state.ny.us/files/retirement/forms/pdf/rs5042.pdf. If you are applying for military service credit, upload your Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD-214) in Retirement Online, or enclose a copy with your paper application.

Once we receive your request, we will write to your former employer(s) and request your payroll records. We’ll use these records to calculate how much credit you are eligible to receive, and we’ll let you know the cost (if any) to purchase it.

If you think you have public employment or military service that might qualify for additional credit, you should make your request as soon as possible. The records we need to verify your service will be more readily available and, if there is a cost, it will be less expensive the earlier you request it. If you have any documentation of your past service, such as payroll records or W-2 forms, providing this information along with your application will assist ERS with the process of verifying your service credit.

In most cases, buying service credit will not change your date of membership or your tier unless you were a member of ERS or another public retirement system in New York at the time. You can learn more by reading our publication, Service Credit for Tiers 2 through 6, available at osc.state.ny.us/retirement/publications/service-credit-tiers-2-through-6.

Thomas DiNapoli

In every issue, State Comptroller Thomas P. DiNapoli, administrative head of the State and Local Employees’ Retirement System (ERS) and trustee of the Common Retirement Fund, provides information on the System, which delivers retirement benefits to many NYSUT School-Related Professionals and other support staff. If you are an ERS member with a question of general interest, email united@nysut.org.

For immediate assistance, call the ERS Contact Center toll-free at 866-805-0990 or 518-474-7736 in the Capital District.